Friday, November 7, 2014

City Girl Goes to the Country Part II: Thankful for my family


I previously wrote about my trips to the “farm” as a child and the ranch now that Terryn, my honey, has moved (City Girl Goes to the County).  With it now being November and just having gotten home from a recent trip out to western Nebraska, I thought it would be a great time for a second post about a city girl that goes to the country.  
 
Riding horses during one of the trips to the "Farm"

I am blessed with grandparents who have been and continue to be a major part of my life.  The trips to the farm when I was a child are all because of them.  They grew up in small town Nebraska and even though they moved to the city once they had children, they wanted to share their heritage and family with their children and grandchildren.  On a regular basis, they would take us to visit family on the farm and we would get to do typical farm things that weren’t a part of our daily lives, ride the 4 wheeler and horses, see cows, and collect eggs.  

Meeting Cheyenne
 On most of the trips during the drive the pleading began the minute we got in the car, “Can we pull off the highway at the first entrance so I can drive down the lane, please?”  Looking back I am not sure why I was so excited about it, the lane was maybe a quarter of a mile and by me “driving” we probably ended up going about 5 miles a hour on that stretch making the trip take longer.  But never the less, it was exciting and something I asked to do every time we went.  

My son's first horse ride (8 weeks old)
This most recent trip to the ranch was a special one for me, I got to take my eight week old son for the first time.  While I know he is young and won’t remember this particular trip, I found joy in sharing the things my grandparents shared with me at an early age.  I took my little man on his first horse ride and was happy that it was on my favorite horse, Cash.  (He doesn’t have to know that we just went around and around in the yard close to the house!)  As he grows up and we continue these trips I can’t wait to find out what part of it will bring him joy and excitement that driving down the lane brought to me. 

 As I think about the things I am thankful for during the month of November, I have to thank my grandparents for being such an important part of my life and sharing the experiences at the farm with me.  I look forward to passing on this part of my life with future generations!
Meeting our buddy Cash



No comments:

Post a Comment