Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Chapter Two: Jeans and Tennis Shoes

We have turned the page in the BS Hansen Family History book.  Chapter 1: “Lutz” ended as Bo worked his last day at the place that both of us started off our accounting careers.  After having a business casual dress code and wearing dress shoes for the last 5 years, we are saying goodbye to that.  Meanwhile we gladly welcome the new dress code of jeans and tennis shoes (or Cowboy boots in my case!).  We made a commitment to our careers during the past 7 years which included studying for CPA exams, long hours during tax season, and gaining professional experience.  We both appreciate the first chapter and wouldn’t be where we are without it.  If you would have asked me a couple years ago where I saw myself down the road, my answer would have included public accounting.  As we neared the end of our 5-year plan and started to think about adding a member to our family, we found our priorities changing.  In my list of priorities, I began to see wealth and career advancements slide down as quality family time, health, and financial stability moved up the list.  The adrenaline I once had during tax season started to dwindle, and my heart began to head in a different direction. 

Once Dexter joined our family, I knew that it was time to turn the page in my book and find that balance I was missing.  While I still enjoyed accounting, I decided it was time to look for other career opportunities.  My search resulted in finding a group of misfits that are outside of the box thinkers like me.  An added plus to my new position is I get to wear jeans and tennis shoes (or cowboy boots) everyday!  Little did I know that Friday in August when I cleared off my desk hoping to go into labor over the weekend, that I would be working my last day at a public accounting firm.  I officially started my new role as a private accountant for Sympateco Inc. in November and am enjoying my new dress code! 

Bo and I seem to go through similar experiences with different timing.  I like to say that he couldn’t handle working at Lutz without me, but he has a different story ;)  He also decided public accounting was no longer the right fit for him and thought a smaller, family-owned business was more his style.  He found a great little real estate company and the added bonus for him was jeans and tennis shoes every day!  We declared that this next chapter in our lives, that focuses on family and our new careers, should be titled “Jeans and Tennis Shoes”!  We are extremely excited about what our future holds and can’t wait to see where this chapter takes us!


No comments:

Post a Comment